Friday 10 October 2014

Shock as hubby discovers his college wife was married and two months pregnant


Nairobi businessman Edwin Ndege got the shock of his life when his wife of one year sent him a text message two months ago saying she was not only pregnant, but that she had married the man who put her in the family way. While he was still trying to come to terms with the devastating news, she called him again last week, begging him to take her back. More shocking is that Ndege says he might say ‘yes.’ This Afrocinema-like saga began in 2012 when he met Chebet at his old city college where she had just enrolled for a course. Unlike other college girls, he says, Chebet dressed decently in long skirts and “she never exposed her cleavage.” She also did not drink alcohol or go to nightclubs, preferring to spend the nights in his house instead, watching movies or just chatting. She was also religious and nagged him till he started attending mass every Sunday. “I knew I had found a wife. I offered to pay her college fees, but she said her sister was already taking care of that. I eventually introduced her to my mother who blessed our union. But because she hadn’t yet cleared college, I put on hold dowry payment. I also didn’t want her to get pregnant before clearing school, so we were very careful,” says Ndege.

When she completed her diploma course last June, Ndege asked her to register for a degree course and promised to pay her fees. “She flatly refused. She wanted to go for internship. She was never rude or disrespectful, but she had a way of letting me down easily, which made me appreciate her point of view. She told me that a friend had secured an internship position for her in Kitale,” he says. Ndege knew a long-distance love affair was going to be hard, but love has strange ways of wanting the other party to be happy, come rain, hell or high water. Problems began immediately Chebet got to Kitale. Sometimes, in the evenings, she wouldn’t pick his calls, and would call back in the morning to apologise. Within two months she began playing ‘bubu game’ and stopped picking his calls or replying to his texts altogether. Then in September, she dropped the bombshell. She was two months pregnant with her husband’s child. “I was in shock for hours. I kept staring at the phone, hoping it was all a prank. This was a woman I had invested so much emotionally. It ripped my heart, left me bleeding inside, tears streaking down my cheeks. Men don’t cry easily, but I wept for the girl I loved. “All through our relationship, her picture was the screen saver on my phone. My Facebook profile picture was her. My WhatsApp profile picture was her. All the pictures on my Instagram account were hers. I was in love. I was smitten. I have never loved a person this much,” Ndege says.

Two months later, “she called me and said she wants to come back. She didn’t even apologise. She just called and asked me if she can come back, yet she is two months pregnant with another man’s child. I don’t know what to do. I might allow her back...,” he says. “It can’t be said she left me because I am poor. I don’t drink or smoke, and there are a lot of women who wanted to be with me, but I rejected them all because I wanted to be faithful to Chebet. I never cheated on her. Maybe I should say yes, but what if she lies to me again?” Contacted, Chebet declined to comment on the matter.







No comments:

Post a Comment